News:

Go to HostNed.com
Welcome.  This is a place to get user-to-user support, learn more, and share ideas.  If you can't find your answers here, feel free to ask by creating a new topic or visit the support ticket system at https://my.hostned.com :)  Have fun here!

Main Menu

Back to the e-mail problem

Started by Dragonfighter, April 05, 2007, 06:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfighter

Using the Plesk panel I set up an email address and password.  When I sent a test e-mail I get the following return:

Return-Path: <username@vusn.org>
Received: (qmail 16455 invoked from network); 31 Mar 2007 21:30:45 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO ?192.168.1.1?) (username@sbcglobal.net@75.32.165.100 with plain)
  by smtp103.sbc.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; 31 Mar 2007 21:30:44 -0000
X-YMail-OSG: 06SR47wVM1nDmQTwtqf3q_mUSA0gCmqye_zNATaE14h0TgRL
Message-ID: <460EE110.9000206@vusn.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:30:40 -0600
Reply-To:  username@vusn.org
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To:  admin@northtexascreationresources.org
Subject: Test
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

test

I have since changed the e-mail username.  Also I have setup my client with the POP3 set to "mail.northtexascreationresources.org" and the outgoing to "smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" my ISP.  When I check the inbox I get:

1)--Connected to mail.northtexascreationresources.org
2)Standard AVG scan of the connection
3) An Error: An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server mail.northtexascreationresources.org responded:

I have a couple of different incoming addresses that are from different sources than my ISP and use the ISP (SBC) as the SMTP and had no problem setting them up.  So the Thunderbird client should handle this as well.  I have also tried using just the user name and the whole address in the username field.  Also have tried with secure authentication on and off.  I have also tried all of the "Secure Connection" options.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Dynaweb

Your domain name is not even linked to HostNed.  I did a trace and got the following:

===
Name: www.hopto.org
IP Address: 204.16.252.98
Network: VITAL-NOIP
===

Additionally, nothing in the information you provided in your post indicates that the domain name is at all linked to HostNed.  That is most definitely the problem.

Dragonfighter

Could you clarify?  The error I posted was an outgoing message that was returned.  The address I sent it from was my Virtual United States Navy staff address and the SMTP is my ISP through SBC.  I don't understand why and where the address admin@northtexascreationresources.org would not be linked to the server that nortexascreationresources.org is on.

The second error I noted was the POP3 error on the account I set up on Thunderbird.

Here's How it is set up:

ACCOUNT

Account Name:  NTCR
Your Name:  NTCR Administration
Email Address:  username@northtexascreationresources.org
Reply-To address: username@northtexascreationresources.org
Organization:  North Texas Creation resources

Server Settings:

Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: mail.northtexascreationresources.org  Port: 110  (default) 110
Username:  username@northtexascreationresources.org (currently -- I have tried it with just the username)

Security Settings:

Use Secure Connection: "Never" currently checked, have tried all others.
Secure Authentication: checked

Outgoing Server (SMTP):

Description: <not specified>
Server Name:  smtp:sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Port: 25
User Name:  username@sbcglobal.net
Secure Connection: none

That's all the client side settings that should effect being able to get mail.  The server side settings on the control panel seemed pretty straight forward so I don't really even no where to look there.

Kyle

Dragonfighter

Dynaweb

Quote from: Dynaweb on April 05, 2007, 07:20:34 PM
Your domain name is not even linked to HostNed.  I did a trace and got the following:

===
Name: www.hopto.org
IP Address: 204.16.252.98
Network: VITAL-NOIP
===

Additionally, nothing in the information you provided in your post indicates that the domain name is at all linked to HostNed.  That is most definitely the problem.

Do a trace on the domain name northtexascreationresources.org.  It traces to Nevada.  None of HostNeds servers are in nevada.

Do a trace on mail.northtexascreationresources.org and it traces to 75.36.22.134 in texas.  HostNed does have servers in TX, but not that IP 75.36.22.134.

This means that your web http server and mail server are not being served by hostned due to the way you have things configured.

Dragonfighter

Okay, here is where I need some help then.  The space and domain are being hosted by Hostned, what configuration can I affect to change this.  How did the IP's get pointed that direction in the first place?  I'm really lost here.

Dynaweb

Quote from: Dragonfighter on April 20, 2007, 03:39:19 PM
Okay, here is where I need some help then.  The space and domain are being hosted by Hostned, what configuration can I affect to change this.  How did the IP's get pointed that direction in the first place?  I'm really lost here.

Sorry, I didnt notice your last reply here right away.  Are your nameservers set to the ones HostNed provided?  That would be the most common reason.

Dragonfighter

Yes, I checked and the IP that the DNS points to is the one you guys sent me (70.84.12.90) and the names are all either northtexascreationresources.org or http://www.northtexascreationresources.org depending on which aspect in the DNS settings I'm looking at.  I even removed the files that I had parked on my privaye space with Truevine as when we first registered that's where we had everything pointed.

Kyle

P.S. Don't sweat the delay, I've been getting over a pneumonia and haven't really cared much about anything other than breathing for the last couple of weeks.

Dynaweb

OK, this should help you.  Go to this address
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=northtexascreationresources.org
There you can see that your domain nameservers are set to no-ip.com
(Be aware that the nameservers are set at your domain name registrar and take a couple days to become effective)
It is possible that you are confusing the nameservers with the DNS zone which is on the HostNed server and accessible through your control panel (Plesk).
Think of them both as roadsigns that tell internet traffic where to go.  Nameservers are an earlier stop before the DNS zone.  In your case, the internet traffic is going to to the no-ip.com direction first and is not being directed back to HostNed.  If you replace the no-ip.com nameservers with HostNed's nameservers:
yin.ssl1.us
yang.ssl1.us
then internet traffic will be directed to here and eventually find your DNS zone and all will be linked up and good to go.

Dragonfighter

Okay, I think I'm beginning to grasp the situation.  One question, is there anyway to move the domain registration over to hostned?

Dynaweb

Quote from: Dragonfighter on May 20, 2007, 10:25:49 PM
Okay, I think I'm beginning to grasp the situation.  One question, is there anyway to move the domain registration over to hostned?

Sure, just go into the MyHostNed area [ https://my.hostned.com ] and open a ticket for sales there for it.

Dragonfighter

Had an AHA! moment yesterday.  I was talking with the member of the group that had bought the domain for us.  I was discussing the problem with the E-mail and PHP with him and he said that the reason was it was still pointing to his server.  The web address is pointed here but everything else was still pointing to his server where we had parked the page before going live on Hostned.

I'm holding my breath, but as soon as it resolves we may have solved all of the issues.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

Kyle

Dynaweb

I hope that works for you.  Seems to me like that would be the ringer.  Good luck.

Dragonfighter

Alrighty then, email works but I cannot get a forum to work.

If I try to use the Simple Machines forum and fill out the install form OR test the permissions it opens a Wikipedia article on forums.

If I try to install the phpBB from the applications vault in control panel, it seems to install okay, it shows my administrator user name as the member but won't let me log in or run any scripts.

I installed an .htaccess to resolve the non access errors some time ago. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dynaweb

Go ahead and open a new thread for the forum thing.  Make sure you post there the URL for the forum since when I go to the site I do not see a link to the forum from there.