News:

Go to HostNed.com
Welcome.  This is a place to get user-to-user support, learn more, and share ideas.  If you can't find your answers here, feel free to ask by creating a new topic or visit the support ticket system at https://my.hostned.com :)  Have fun here!

Main Menu

Re: New member needs help moving websites

Started by sclemens, December 19, 2008, 09:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sclemens

Hi All.  Sorry to be a bother - but I have this website that I am having trouble moving here.  I had a copy of the website downloaded onto my computer.  I set up an account for it here at hostned - then I changed the name servers and waited 24 hours.  I then published the website again and poof - there it went - gone.  There is nothing up on the net now, nothing in the files on my computer - so where did it go?  The people who hosted it last are less than friendly and not at all supportive - hence why I am moving - so I can't go back to them and ask if they can help.  What can I do?  I sure appreciate in advance anyone who can help.  thanks Sherry

Dynaweb

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble at your old host.  I am sure you will find the HostNed community helpful.  Well, about your issue.  Usually when you upload website files from your computer to the web server (using FTP) the files are copied/pasted over, not cut/pasted over.  So there is a chance they are still on your PC somewhere.

Also, you mentioned changing teh nameservers and waiting 24 hours.  24 hours is USUALLY enough time, but there are some times (randomly) when it takes up to 3 days, so that MAY just be what you are experiencing here.

Hey, can you post the URL to the new site here and we can take a look and see if it loads for us. ;)

Afterburn

Yes I would wait a bit longer, REGISTER.COM takes usually about 3-4 days to reach California when they usually update the nameservers in the EAST within hours. So just give it some times and you'll have your site running again!

sclemens

Hi - thanks for your help. I sure hope you are right and that it will just take a bit more time to move over.  the website is www.horsepowercompany.com and it is still not showing up for me.  So I sure hope so.

So I did everything correctly then did I?  I set up a package and account for the website here at hostned - then I changed the name servers over and waited 48 hours - then I published the website again.  But now I can't find the files on my pc - the files are gone from there and I can't figure out why - those files should always be there as you say - so I dont know what I did wrong - the website was creted by someone else so maybe it is just a sign that I need to redo the website -LOL - looks like I might have to regardless.  But I have a bunch of sites to move so now it makes me nervous to try moving any of the others and I want to move them all a.s.a.p. since I will save so much money here at hostned.

Your help is very much appreciated.  At least I dont feel alone any more.  LOL -thanks every one

Sherry

sclemens

Oh - and one more thing - I am on holidays and I thought I had emailed myself my user id and password to get into my account here at hostned so I could keep working on this over holidays - but I dont seem to have got the email or forgot to send it or something - is there a way I can get that from the website - thanks again for your help

Sherry

Afterburn

Quote from: sclemens on December 23, 2008, 10:00:14 AM
Hi - thanks for your help. I sure hope you are right and that it will just take a bit more time to move over.  the website is www.horsepowercompany.com and it is still not showing up for me.  So I sure hope so.

So I did everything correctly then did I?  I set up a package and account for the website here at hostned - then I changed the name servers over and waited 48 hours - then I published the website again.  But now I can't find the files on my pc - the files are gone from there and I can't figure out why - those files should always be there as you say - so I dont know what I did wrong - the website was creted by someone else so maybe it is just a sign that I need to redo the website -LOL - looks like I might have to regardless.  But I have a bunch of sites to move so now it makes me nervous to try moving any of the others and I want to move them all a.s.a.p. since I will save so much money here at hostned.

Your help is very much appreciated.  At least I dont feel alone any more.  LOL -thanks every one

Sherry

As far as your site, horsepowercompany.com, I see the domain and all, but you have no files uploaded. Did you have alot of pages or was it mostly a forum type site? Either way, I think a redo of your website is good to start off clean with a brand new host. If you need any help, go ahead and ask away.

sclemens

Hi

Well I dont know what I did wrong - I changed the name servers over and then waited 24 hours and then published the website again and the files disappeared.  Should I have changed the name servers and then immediately gone and republished the website then - instead of waiting.  the old hosing plan has deleted the website - so there went the files - and the files did not move over to hostned so I think I am hooped - where would the files be? should they be on hostened somewhere? since they have been deleted off the old server - so yeah - looks like I will be re-doing the website - thanks for any help you can give me - I sure appreciate it