News:

Go to HostNed.com
Welcome.  This is a place to get user-to-user support, learn more, and share ideas.  If you can't find your answers here, feel free to ask by creating a new topic or visit the support ticket system at https://my.hostned.com :)  Have fun here!

Main Menu

Security for Wordpress Websites

Started by Dynaweb, February 19, 2020, 03:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynaweb

I manage many different websites that use WordPress and I find that the very best thing I can do for security is to install the WordFence plugin. It is a real WAF (Web Application Firewall) that works in the background to help prevent malicious activity on your website.

Do you use this or something different for WP security?

Dynaweb

In 2024, Wordfence continues to be a solid leader in Wordpress security. Their WAF structure remains second-to-none, however, some users are comfortable using alternatives to Wordfence. Here are a few options to consider:

Yes, there are several other popular WordPress security plugins besides Wordfence that are worth considering:

Sucuri Security

Sucuri is a well-known security company that offers a comprehensive WordPress security plugin. Its key features include:

- Web Application Firewall (WAF) to block malicious traffic
- Malware scanning and removal
- Blacklist monitoring to prevent your site from being blacklisted
- Post-hack security actions like password resets and database repairs

The Sucuri plugin has both a free and premium version.

All In One WP Security & Firewall

This is one of the most popular free WordPress security plugins with over 1 million active installations. It provides:

- Basic firewall rules to block common threats
- Brute force attack protection
- User account security features like 2FA

However, its WAF capabilities are generally considered less robust than Wordfence or Sucuri's premium offerings.

iThemes Security (Better WP Security)

Formerly called Better WP Security, this plugin from iThemes offers a suite of security tools like:

- One-click hardening to tighten WordPress security
- Malware scanning
- Enforcing strong passwords
- Security keys/salts to protect against brute force attacks

NinjaFirewall (BulletProof Security)

NinjaFirewall, previously known as BulletProof Security, is another free plugin that aims to harden WordPress security with features like:

- Web Application Firewall
- Malware scanning
- Login security
- Database backup

- - -
While these plugins offer good security features, most experts still consider Wordfence to have one of the best free WAF solutions for WordPress. Combining it with other hardening best practices can significantly improve your site's security posture.

All of the HostNed Shared Hosting accounts fully support Wordpress and have a one-click installer, along with a "Wordpress Manager" in the hosting control panel that helps automate things like updates, backups, security advice, and much more.